Saturday, December 25, 2021

Season 8 Episode 3 “The Long Night” review – Too big to comprehend

 

I think this is the first time that I’m at a total loss writing one of these reviews. We’re standing here, at what’s likely the apex of a development that speeded past us in the last half decade. If you had told me in 2014 that in 2019, we’d be watching a battle involving thousands of people on both sides, three dragons and a zombie giant IN THE MIDSEASON FINALE OF A TV SHOW, and that we’d complain about how much sense the battle tactics made, I’d have declared you a bit lucid. This a show that couldn’t scrape the money together to show more than two horses and twenty people for the Tourney of the Hand only seven years ago!

“Game of Thrones” let the charge of international geekdom, together with the MCU, into a total transformation of the media landscape in such a mind-boggling short timeframe that it’s still hard to comprehend. We have not even begun catching up on the contemporary importance of this popcultural shift. In that way, the episode is too big to comprehend.

However, even on its own terms, I struggle to put a finger on how to actually place it, though this is a temporary phenomenon. This is a weekly recap, after all, and it’s impossible to rate this episode and its impact without first seeing the next three episodes. The showrunners made one daring decision in here: They switched the major theme around. Instead of the Night King and the dreading apocalypse of the invasion of the dead, it’s Cersei and the Iron Throne after all. The show title kind of gave it away, to be honest, but I had willed myself into believing that it was the other way around, and that Jon and Dany were the ones to inevitably do it.

My intimate knowledge and relationship with the books preclude me from really grasping the finer webs of the plotting here. Did Benioff and Weiss really foreshadow that it would be Arya doing the killing in the end? Did the show ever mention the Azor Ahai myth, or is this just me, mindlessly parsing knowledge between mediums, unable to separate two different canons of lore? The very mechanism that allowed me to fill the blanks of nostalgia in the first two episodes of the season and enjoy the scenes for more than they were now works against me, like muscle memory itching after an amputation, making every move wrong. The show is too big to comprehend for me, and I’m awed and flattened by what’s happening.

Does this mean we’re watching a marvel of an episode, the best there ever was, topping last week’s episode? Hardly. What I’m saying is this: without having seen the last three episodes, it’s impossible to tell whether or not the focus switch (which almost surely won’t be in the books) to the Iron Throne and Cersei as the main objectives and the killing of all undead will work out or not. I’m doubtful about the premise, but a lot of stories make mediocre premises work, while a lot of other stories fail on killer premises. It’s all in the execution, and we don’t know yet where it points. We need to see said execution in order to pass judgement on what transpired there.

There are things we can infer from this, however. Like many people, I was surprised by the low death count. Grey Worm is still alive, for god’s sake! That’s not to say more people need to have died. The decision to make this battle episode three of six obviously means that for a lot of them, more is in store. All those who had nothing left are dead now. Let’s take a look at them for a second.

Theon dies protecting his home, being told be Bran that he’s a good man. It was the perfect culmination of his arc, in the perfect place, with a clear mission objective (protect Bran) executed well. He was the most likely death of the episode, and it totally makes sense.

He’s followed by the second on the list, Beric Dondarrion. His story arguably ended four seasons ago, so breathing second life into the character (see what I did there?) by letting him realize he was meant to be Arya’s bodyguard all along is a nice way. Well done there.

Then we have Dolorous Edd, who is number three only because Grey Worm for some reason escaped the Grim Reaper. Not much to say here: the Wall is down, the Watch is done, and it’s pretty much over for him. That he goes out saving Sam is also heavily foreshadowed.

Next in line is Jorah Mormont. He was Dany’s Queensguard, and he dies as such. His arc, never all that pronounced anyway, had been flat since his banishment by Dany way back when, and him going out like this makes a lot of sense.

Poor Lyanna Mormont also wasn’t a real surprise, unfortunately. The political conflict left resolves around King’s Landing, not Winterfell, so she had served her role, and got a badass send-off befitting her.

Qhono also died, but I know his name only because I looked it up. Did anyone expect the Dothraki to escape this?

And then we have Viserion and the Night’s King. Honestly, I didn’t expect the show to play it as straight as they did, but Viserion battling Jon in the yard and the Night King dying in the same spot he was created were perfectly fitting.

Surviving, on the other hand, are both Jaime and Brienne, which points to them playing a role with Cersei’s resolution. Tormund lives, for some reason, as do Podrick and Gendry. I don’t expect them to do much more than be glorified extras until they get a farewell scene in the last episode. Yohn Royce still lives, but for him, the same applies. Ghost is still alive, as are the dragons. This is significant; I guess they’re only alive because Dany is nothing without dragons and if Jon had lost his, the conflict over his parentage coming would be rather lopsided. Sandor is still alive, as is Missandei. I don’t see huge roles for them either. But for all of them, dying in Winterfell wouldn’t have carried much meaning, so their deaths would have been needless cruelty. None of this is meant as a critique.

I’m dancing around the issue, I know. Is this a good episode or not?

It’s frivolous to even ask. Of course it is. The sheer level of artisanry on display is breathtaking, but it has always been on “Game of Thrones”. This show can never be not “good”. Even while watching the Dornish plot of season 5, you get great costumes, the best actors that could be casted for the role, meticulous lighting, near perfect blocking (let’s ignore that fight scene…) and astute camerawork.

It’s the same here. The staging is magnificent. Let me give you a short highlight reel.

There’s a scene in which hundreds of Dothraki with burning arakhs are riding into the night, and with one of the best pieces of sound design ever, they get extinguished one by one.

There’s a scene in which dragons brave a blizzard, soar out of it over a star-speckled night sky, have a moment of magnificence and are then attacked by an ice dragon shooting at them from the Blizzard below, before they dive back into the maelstrom again.

There’s a scene in which ice zombies and skeletons are overrunning the walls of Winterfell in several places at once.

We watch a zombie giant break through the gate, smashing people left and right and then getting killed by Lyanna Mormont. Seriously, you said they’ve got a cave troll? Pfffff, I say.

There’s an ice dragon descending on the Yard of Winterfell, clawing at the stones and blocking Jon Snow from entering the godswood.

There’s a scene in which Arya traverses the Winterfell library in a deadly cat-and-mouse-game, combined with a scene in which the Hound and Berric race to get through her, all the while trying not to rouse the zombies shuffling around.

The Night King raises all the dead to contemptuously block Jon, and the dead Starks in the Winterfell crypts (“we’ll be safe here”) rise up and threaten everyone.

Theon and his Ironborn hold the line firing fire arrows into the godswood like machine gun emplacements at Vietcong coming out of the jungle.

I could go on and on. The sheer level of spectacle on display here is awesome to behold, in the literal sense of the word. Spectacle is a lot of what “Game of Thrones” has been about since at least season 5, so this is warranted for its finale. Like a lot of its characters, the show is going out in a blaze of glory.

However.

However.

I have issues. For much of the larger plot, I’m reserving judgement because it’s too dependent on the choices that are going to come. Viewed in isolation, Arya killing the Night King is perfectly fine. Concentrating on Dany and Jon and Bran so much was a perfect bait and switch for it, the scene worked well, everything’s good. The burden now lies on the execution going forward.

But we are able to judge some elements of the episodes on their own merits. First, the lighting. Especially the first encounter is just too damn dark. It’s really, really hard to see what’s going on, and the quick, frenzy-cut shots of zombies overrunning someone get stale rather fast because too little is discernible. This issue gets markedly better once everyone is within Winterfell.

And that leads to the biggest issue with the whole episode, and that’s the chaos. It’s no problem of having a battle that’s chaotic. If chaos is what you intend, you can shoot chaos. But in this case, it doesn’t really seem the case. What’s missing here is clear geography. In episode 2, I thought the battle plan sounded rather sensible, and in its abbreviated form, it did. Not so much in the episode.

What the plot is really missing is some internal logic. I’m not talking about the questions of what would be realistic. Currently, Twitter is awash in people that argue, as my illustrious co-host Sean T. Collins succinctly put it, that the eagles should have dropped the ring in the volcano. The Dothraki charging doesn’t make much sense, but it’s an awesome scene. What’s lacking is some rationale; what the characters are lacking are mission statements.

I think a lot of the bad criticism stems from this problem. People are discussing why there weren’t nigthfires and staggered battle lines and horse archery and stuff like this because the show didn’t provide a framework to understand the battle. Stuff just happened. The Dothraki rode, catapults fired, then everyone fell back, which may or may not have been part of the plan, then the walls were manned, which may or may not have been part of the plan, and from then on, it was pure chaos. Brienne and Jaime were surrounded at three different indistinct locations three times, and we never saw how they got out. So what does it stick out like a sore, whereas no one bats on eye on Aragorn throwing Gimli onto the bridge? It’s not like “The Two Towers” killed a lot of major characters or showed staggered battle lines or some such nonsense.

The show missed mission statements. Lyanna Mormont seemed to be holding the yard? Grey Worm protected the retreat, but the retreat came because some original plan failed. The Dothraki charged, but to achieve what end? Jaime and Brienne fought, as did many others, to achieve what? Let’s quickly scheme this out with the material we have so you can see what I mean:

Knowing from Hardhome that the Undead charge in an unrelenting wave, the Dothraki are commanded to break up that wave by charging in, disengaging and returning, goading them into an early attack and harrying the undead in the wings. The catapults, in the meantime, further break up the enemy’s pathway, lighting the battlefield and blunting the edge while allowing the Dothraki’s superior mobility to work out. The whights are not smart, so this should work. Of course, it really doesn’t, but we don’t know why. We only see the result, which is perfectly fine. But now I have context. Maybe the Dothraki got cocky with their newly flaming arakhs.

The next phase of the plan is to lure the dead into the trenches and then light them with the dragons while army retreats to Winterfell in orderly fashion. This way, a lot of dead meat gets killed. We saw this can work beyond the Wall, when Viserion was killed. Makes sense enough, and again, gets horribly wrong because the charge is much more forceful and numerous than envisioned even in the worst-case scenarios.

But, thanks to quick thinking Grey Worm, who is tasked with this important part of the battle, most people make it back (cue to Melisandre’s rescue). In the castle, Lyanna is holding the courtyard (as she does in the show), coordinating the retreating troops. Fine. Arya commands the archers for supporting fire. Also fine. It’s all there, but it’s pure congestion by me. The show doesn’t communicate it, and therefore, a lot of fight scenes are random (leading to the chaotic impression). Too many characters still don’t have mission statements. What do Brienne and Jaime do? What constitutes success, what failure? What’s Jorah’s job? He ends up protecting Dany, but if that was his mission (which it should have been!), him riding with the Dothraki was a dumb idea. What was Edd’s job? What did Sam do in this battle, other than giving Jon a really cool reaction shot when he decided to let his friend die for the good of mankind?

But again, if that is the extent of the criticism you can bring forward (the next three weeks will decide the rest), then what are we doing here, exactly? I admit that I lost the thread completely mid-battle. When Arya suddenly entered her personal horror movie in the Winterfell library, I was totally confused. What was going on? Was the rest dead? But I quickly decided to just wing it. I was watching a great little horror movie, and it was engrossing and exciting, and that was all.

It has always been the strength of the showrunners. Benioff and Weiss are uniquely talented into making big, cool, awesome and inspiring scenes. They’re less good in meaningfully connecting them, where it’s more hit and miss. But shit, to hear some people talk, this is like the worst offense next to shooting someone on Fifth Avenue. And that’s ludicrous. We got the greatest spectacle ever put to TV screen, finishing the most beloved story. You can despair over the idea that this may be the only ending to the Song of Ice and Fire that we’re ever gonna get and wade deep in the misery, but I much prefer to see the bright side of it and enjoy this show.

10 comments:

  1. BINARY SCAM RECOVERY

    ❌ Binary Option, Forex and their likes are a means of making money but it’s more like gambling. There are no sure means to guarantee that a person could make profit with them and that’s why it can also be reasoned to be scam. Let’s not forget that some individuals even give you �� % guarantee of making profits and end up running away with your money. The internet today is full of Binary Option Recovery Scam, you see so much testimonies been shared about how a firm or Company helped them recover what they lost to Binary Options. But believe it, it’s just a way to lure more people and end up scamming them.

    ❌ You might have also come across some individuals that say they will give you guarantee on successful trades but they only end up as SCAMMERS as well. You here them say stuffs like 200% guaranteed in just 2 weeks and when you go into trade with them, they start telling you to pay profits percentage before you can get your income. These are all liars please avoid them. But if you have been a victim of this guys, then you should contact FIRMWARE now‼️

    ✳️The big Question is “Can someone Recover their money lost to Binary Option and Scam⁉️
    I will say yes, and will tell you how.

    The only way to Recovery your money back is by hiring HACKERS to help you break into the Firms Database Security System using the information you provide them with, Extract your file and get back your money. It seems like a really impossible thing to do, I will tell you, it should be impossible, but with the use of specially designed softwares known to HACKERS and Authorities (such as The FBI, CIA e.t.c) it is possible and the only way to recover your money.

    ✅FIRMWARE are a group of hackers who use their hacking skill to hunt down SCAMMERS and help individuals recovery their money from Internet SCAMMERS.
    We just need the contact details of the SCAMMERS and Paymnet Info and within 4-8 hours your money will be return to you.

    ✳️ You can contact us via the emails below-:
    firmwarehacks@gmail.com


    We also provide Legit Hacking Services such as-:
    ��Phone Hacking/Cloning
    ��Email Hacking & Password Recovery
    ��Social Media Hacking & Passowrd Recovery
    ��Deleted Files Recovery ��Mobil Tracking
    ��Virus detection & Elimination.

    Email-: firmwarehacks@gmail.com




    Firmware
    2021 © All Right Reserved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there, as a newbie to crypto currency trading, I lost a lot of money trying to navigate the market on my own. In my search for a genuine and trusted trader, i came across Anderson Johnny who guided and helped me make so much profit up to the tune of $40,000. I made my first investment with $1,000 and got a ROI of $9,400 in less than 8 days. You can contact this expert trader via email: tdameritrade077@gmail.com or on WhatsApp: +447883246472 and be ready to share your own testimony

    ReplyDelete
  3. Herbal medication is the only medication that cure infections and diseases completely , I was having chronic persistent urinary tract infections and painful swelling in my bartholin gland, both of which cleared up with the use of natural herbs i got from you Dr Ofua Ofure the great herbal healing thegreatherbalhealinghome@gmail.com (https://dr-ofua-ofure-herbal-healing-home.business.site) plus the dietary changes that I made over a three-month period as instructed by Dr Ofua Ofure , Before i made use of herbal medicine, i tried several antibiotics as prescribed by my family medical Doctor but non work, for good three years i was suffering of this infection getting worse day by day, until i came in contact with Dr Ofua Ofure , all that changes am now cured and free from infections after i used his herbal medicine as instructed by him , I recommend him to anyone out here,Call/Whatsapp+2347059497969 his herbal medicine works perfectly well , . Thank you for the gift of health and well-being Dr Ofua Ofure

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi viewers online, I'm here to share my testimony about how I was helped to get my husband back. I was a cheat and my husband caught me several times. I tried fixing myself and each time I ended up cheating over and over again. I guess I didn't realize what he meant to me until he had left me alone. I began to find a way to get him back but nothing seemed to work out perfectly until I came across an article about Lord Zulu who helped a lot of people globally to get their relationships back. I made contact with him and he assured me that my husband will come back to me within 48 hours with his powerful magic for the materials needed for the work. Surprisingly, my husband came back home after 2 days saying that he still loves me and I swore never to cheat on him anymore. All thanks to Lord Zulu. You can have a chat with him on his WhatsApp number or you can contact him on +1(909) 781-4612.


    Hi viewers online, I'm here to share my testimony about how I was helped to get my husband back. I was a cheat and my husband caught me several times. I tried fixing myself and each time I ended up cheating over and over again. I guess I didn't realize what he meant to me until he had left me alone. I began to find a way to get him back but nothing seemed to work out perfectly until I came across an article about Lord Zulu who helped a lot of people globally to get their relationships back. I made contact with him and he assured me that my husband will come back to me within 48 hours with his powerful magic for the materials needed for the work. Surprisingly, my husband came back home after 2 days saying that he still loves me and I swore never to cheat on him anymore. All thanks to Lord Zulu. You can have a chat with him on his WhatsApp number or you can contact him on +1(909) 781-4612.



    Hi viewers online, I'm here to share my testimony about how I was helped to get my husband back. I was a cheat and my husband caught me several times. I tried fixing myself and each time I ended up cheating over and over again. I guess I didn't realize what he meant to me until he had left me alone. I began to find a way to get him back but nothing seemed to work out perfectly until I came across an article about Lord Zulu who helped a lot of people globally to get their relationships back. I made contact with him and he assured me that my husband will come back to me within 48 hours with his powerful magic for the materials needed for the work. Surprisingly, my husband came back home after 2 days saying that he still loves me and I swore never to cheat on him anymore. All thanks to Lord Zulu. You can have a chat with him on his WhatsApp number or you can contact him on +1(909) 781-4612.

    ReplyDelete
  5. GET YOUR EX LOVER TO RESTORE YOUR BROKEN RELATIONSHIP, MARRIAGE RESTORED.

    I’m just upset that I have been in pain and crying for so long and many times. Thank you dromokpo@gmail.com
    I wished I would have found you earlier, you would have saved me from a lot of pain for the past five years my ex lover left me for another woman in just 2 days i contacted you Dr Omokpo you brought my broken relationship back
    I spent a small fortune enough to take my dream trip to South Carolina but what’s the point in taking a dream trip without the love of my life. Dr Omokpo has given me hope and his honesty is a breath of fresh air, I feel so good and heavy happiness in my heart to get my ex lover back. Who I thought he was gone forever. We are married now as I share my testimony with you. If you have broken relationship or broken marriage or you want to get your ex lover back kindly contact: dromokpo@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. BEST WAY TO GET YOUR EX LOVER BACK REUNITE TOGETHER CONTACT LORD ZULU DIRECTLY ON WHATSAPP +19097814612
    How to get your ex back fast! I was hurt and heart broken when a very big problem occurred in my marriage seven months ago, between me and my husband . so terrible that he took the case to court for a divorce. he said that he never wanted to stay with me again, and that he didn't love me anymore. So he packed out of the house and made me and my children pass through severe pain. I tried all my possible means to get him back, after much begging, but all to no avail. and he confirmed that he had made his decision, and he never wanted to see me again. So one evening, as I was coming back from work, I met an old friend of mine who asked my husband .So I explained everything to him, so he told me that the only way I can get my husband back is to visit a priest, because it has really worked for him too. So I never believed in spells, but I had no other choice, than to follow his advice. Then he gave me the Email address of the priest whom he visited. So the next morning, I sent a letter to the address he gave to me, and the priest assured me that I will get my husband back the next day. What an amazing statement!! I never believed, so he spoke with me, and told me everything that I needed to do. Then the next morning, So surprisingly, my husband who didn't call me for the past 7 months, gave me a call to inform me that he was coming back. So Amazing!! So that was how he came back that same day, with lots of love and joy, and he apologized for his mistake, and for the pain he caused me and my children. Then from that day, our relationship was now stronger than how it was before, by the help of a priest. So, I will advise you out there if you have any problem contact LORD ZULU, I give you 100% guarantee that he will help you.. or WhatsApp him on +1(909)7814612

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was having issues in my marriage because my husband wants a divorce but I was able to get him to cancel the divorce with the help of a spiritual man called PRIEST OSAS and now we are living in peace. If you are facing any kind of problem in life and want a lasting solution, PRIEST OSAS is the right man for the job. I'm a living testimony of his great power. He also prepares herbs for any kind of sickness you know about, he works wonders and miracles, I thank my stars I reached out to him for help
    CONTACT HIM: +14193594367


    I was having issues in my marriage because my husband wants a divorce but I was able to get him to cancel the divorce with the help of a spiritual man called PRIEST OSAS and now we are living in peace. If you are facing any kind of problem in life and want a lasting solution, PRIEST OSAS is the right man for the job. I'm a living testimony of his great power. He also prepares herbs for any kind of sickness you know about, he works wonders and miracles, I thank my stars I reached out to him for help
    CONTACT HIM: +14193594367



    I was having issues in my marriage because my husband wants a divorce but I was able to get him to cancel the divorce with the help of a spiritual man called PRIEST OSAS and now we are living in peace. If you are facing any kind of problem in life and want a lasting solution, PRIEST OSAS is the right man for the job. I'm a living testimony of his great power. He also prepares herbs for any kind of sickness you know about, he works wonders and miracles, I thank my stars I reached out to him for help
    CONTACT HIM: +14193594367

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE SPELL TO GET YOUR EX LOVER BACK
    MY EX LOVER IS BACK (DR OMOKPO) JOY BACK TO MY SCATTERED HOME THE FAMILY THAT I THOUGHT I HAVE LOST TO AND ANOTHER WOMAN FOREVER.
    Thank you my helper, dromokpo@gmail.com You helped me to restore peace back into my broken home with your spell casting power. When I thought my husband was gone forever you brought him back to me and my kids again. My husband was in the arms of another woman. They almost got married but with your help. Now my husband is back and now stays at home caring for the children as we used to be with our families. If anybody has any relationship or health issue kindly reach him on: dromokpo@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I Need A Real Love Spell Caster To Help Me Bring Back My Ex Lover Urgently WhatsApp +1(419) 359 4367 He Is The Best Spell Caster Online And His Result Is 100% Guaranteed.

    My Husband broke up with me after 9years of relationship. It started from small misunderstandings after which he told me that it would be good to take a break, which I think turned into a breakup. He no longer looks for me, he blocked my number and people said they saw him with another woman, this brought tears to my eyes because we are about to marry, I searched for help when I came across this spiritual man called PRIEST OSAS who have helped many people having relationship problem, I talked with him about my situation and he described to me the process to get back with my lover, I followed his instructions and today I’m happy because my man came back after 5 months of breakup and we are happily married now. If you need the help of a spell caster for any kind of relationship problem contact PRIEST OSAS for a lasting solution. EMAIL: Unsurpassed.solution@gmail.com
    WhatsApp: +1 (419) 359 4367
    http://unsurpassedsolutionhome.website2.me/
    https://unsurpassedsolution.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Believe it or not Dr Amber has come to stay to do wonders with his spells. I overheard my co-worker telling his cousin how Dr Amber helped him get back his partner within 24 hours . I was amazed about what he said. I searched for this man called Dr Amber online and guess what... He had so many good reviews online about his work. I got in contact with him to win the lottery and he assured me that winning the lottery is not a problem but what do I intend doing with the winnings. I told him what I will do when I become a winner. Dr Amber prepared a spell and prayed for me for 3 days before he told me where to play the Lottery. I did as he instructed me with a positive mindset. To my greatest shock, I was announced the winner of $1,000 dollars everyday for life which is equivalent to a cash prize of $7,000,000 million dollars.. I have no words to thank Dr Amber but to share your good works to everyone that needs help. Visit: amberlottotemple.com or Email: amberlottotemple@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete